I want the first step to be easy so I won't be too overwhelmed to actually take it. Yet, I don't want it to be so simple that I feel as though I haven't done anything.
Write the words "Simple Steps" and place it somewhere you often look.
(Bonus step: keep reading)
I have never been a big believer in the power of these kinds of
motivational cues. I am not some kind of hyper-motivated person who has
to write life affirming messages everywhere to feel good about myself.
I honestly have been pretty snarky about people who actually do that
type of thing. Guess what - judging them hasn't gotten me any closer to
my goals. I can't be sure how or even if it will have an impact - but this time around I am going to give it a chance.
Reflection:
Today was a no-brainer! It took about 3 minutes to decide where to put my note to have the greatest impact and I have been looking at it (off-and-on) all day. I thought I wouldn't feel much of a sense of accomplishment, but found that it actually had a resounding impact on my day by serving as a reminder that I had committed to giving this "simple steps" plan a shot. I realized I actually felt a little prouder of myself just for following through with this dorky little task.
I thought about putting it on my fridge, sticking it to my mirror, posting it by my desk, or even writing it on my hand. What I finally decided on was a sticky note on my desktop (not a real one - just the sticky note app I use to jot down ideas). I figure I spend enough time on my laptop each day that I will be frequently reminded that I have set up this year long goal of taking simple steps to create a better life.
I thought about putting it on my fridge, sticking it to my mirror, posting it by my desk, or even writing it on my hand. What I finally decided on was a sticky note on my desktop (not a real one - just the sticky note app I use to jot down ideas). I figure I spend enough time on my laptop each day that I will be frequently reminded that I have set up this year long goal of taking simple steps to create a better life.
Bonus Step: Keep an ongoing mental or written list of "step" ideas to use in the future.
So
this came after I realized I was using my Simple Step sticky note to
jot down ideas for future steps to take - I am just making up this plan
as I go along. (Well, about a week in advance if I am being honest). I
thought I would jot them down as I did some research on positive steps
to take and made a general game plan. I found that I was also using it
to catalog ideas I had during the course of my day. Once they were
written down, I found myself thinking about them later and even putting
them into practice.
No comments:
Post a Comment